Thursday, March 19, 2009

Day Two Continued -Initiation to Motherhood

Events of March 2, 2009: Okay, so I've told several of you about this but I thought you would appreciate the reality of motherhood situation. Anyway . . . we took Addie home that afternoon. We were so excited. The HOH director had suspected that she would not be ready to go home with us the first day. But, she was. It was very odd to take a baby and sit her in your lap while riding on the road. And again the side roads are worse than any construction road you could possibly drive on. So, it was quite nerve-racking to try to hold this small child and feel she would be safe. Anyway, we did arrive home safe. I proudly showed her off to the staff as we entered our hotel. The other family staying at the Guest House was so please to see her. When we got up to our room, we showed her around the suite and worked on making her feel comfortable. Close to bedtime we gave her a bath. I filled up the kitchen sink and she had a blast! She really had very little time for us because she was so focused on the water. He hair was so soft and I shampooed it with Johnson's. I took her out of the sink and fed her some Gerber carrots for dinner. (The HOH director said she could eat carrots.) She loved them so much that she would pull my hand towards her when I wasn't moving fast enough. She finished the whole jar (sense of foreboding setting in . . .) That evening we also gave her the antibiotic she was taking for her cold (yes, you can see it coming.) Apparently, antibiotics cause things such as diarrhea. Also based on the advice of the HOH director, right before bedtime, we gave her some formula. She gulped it down in 2.5 seconds. The lid for the sippy cup was practically inverted! Have you heard about the new app for the Iphone that makes "fart" noises. Well they could take a lesson from this little girl! Given the noise and the smell, I knew the structural integrity of the diaper was in question. I threw her down on the bed to change the diaper as quickly as possible. Okay, I've changed diapers before but all I have to say is I will never . . . never . . . feed my daughter carrots again. Anyway, I was so quick to change the diaper, I neglected to do one small thing -burp her. Before I could fully clean up the um . . . carrots, Addie threw up all of her formula. It spouted out of her in at least a 16-18 inch fountain. It went in her nose and her eyes. I jerked her up immediately so she wouldn't choke on the formula. As I did this, it startled her so much that how bowels loosened once again and more carrots showed up. I was vaguely aware of both grandmas running to help and Ben chanting, "Oh My God, Oh My God!" Have you seen the Exorcist? You know the scene where the girl is vomiting on everything and her head is spinning. Yep, it was pretty much like that! But wait . . . there's more! While trying to clean up what Ben chose to call, " Butt Juices" we ran to the kitchen to get some clean water -only to find that our clean water was spraying out of the water heater directly above the sink. Ben tried to slow the leak but succeeded in only making the spray worse. He went downstairs to find one of the staff members to help. All had gone home to begin celebrating early, "Victory over the Italians Day." So when Addie woke up every hour on the hour, I changed her diaper (yes every hour) and Ben changed the bucket in the kitchen. . . Welcome to Motherhood!

2 comments:

  1. That's a serious induction into Motherhood if I ever heard one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip and how y'all are settling in in Tennessee. I think about you everyday and miss you!

    ReplyDelete